Thread: Ubuntu 24.04 on btrfs with subvolume

Beans

Ubuntu 24.04 on btrfs with subvolume

Is there a procedure, a tutorial, to follow to install Ubuntu 24.04 on btrfs with subvolume?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 24.04 on btrfs with subvolume

If your still looking a good start with instructions found here: https://blackstewie.com/posts/instal...tu-with-btrfs/

I definitely suggest adding a "@snapshots" with one note "/.snapshots" Keeps snapshots hidden.
    Test each subvolume first before going hog wild.
    Last edited by 1fallen; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:38 PM. Reason: opps spelling
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

The problem with new installer seems to be that it doesn't create any subvolumes. It was the same issue with 23.10 (default installer/subiquity). It just creates btrfs partition with mount point /. My testing about this has been one install on physical hardware and several VM installs of Ubuntu 23.10/24.04. When choosing manual partitioning, seems like making encrypted volumes is missing as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kahupaa View Post
    The problem with new installer seems to be that it doesn't create any subvolumes. It was the same issue with 23.10 (default installer/subiquity). It just creates btrfs partition with mount point /. My testing about this has been one install on physical hardware and several VM installs of Ubuntu 23.10/24.04. When choosing manual partitioning, seems like making encrypted volumes is missing as well.
    I won't disagree the new installer needs some work, but at the live installer I'll quote a well known Dev here in UF.
    The new installer now makes it very visible that you can use a file to automate your install. Maybe that supports complex file system organization?
    More on that here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2495830
    I'm still working on a viable script that works for BTRFS, But nothing working yet....Grrr
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD