Thread: Proper Graphics Switching

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question Proper Graphics Switching

Does a plugin or tool exist that allows the user to easily switch between graphics cards and properly disable or suspend whichever one is not in use ???

Many laptops come with Intel or AMD by default with an additional Nvidia card for power-use, but I have never seen an easy way to switch between them easily on linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Proper Graphics Switching

I feel like I'm walking into a "I already know that" but i will take my chance to help.
    Code:
    apt show nvidia-prime
    Package: nvidia-prime
    Version: 0.8.17.2
    Priority: optional
    Section: admin
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Alberto Milone <alberto.milone@canonical.com>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 50.2 kB
    Provides: hybrid-graphics
    Depends: python3:any
    Conflicts: hybrid-graphics
    Breaks: ubuntu-drivers-common (<< 1:0.2.89)
    Replaces: hybrid-graphics
    Task: ubuntu-mate-core, ubuntu-mate-desktop
    Download-Size: 10.4 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: no
    APT-Sources: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble/main amd64 Packages
    Description: Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
     This is a set of tools which will enable
     NVIDIA's Prime on MUXless systems.
    And you can as well mask the unused GPU via systemd.
    I have AMD on mine as well as nVidia.
    Code:
    prime-select query
    intel
    Code:
    systemctl | grep -e nvidia -e masked
    ● sys-bus-pci-drivers-nvidia.device                                                                                                                         masked active plugged   /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia
      nvidia-persistenced.service                                                                                                                               loaded active running   NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
    As far as a point and click On Off toggle, I'm afraid nothing like that exists yet.
    Code:
    sudo prime-select nvidia
    Info: selecting the nvidia profile
    Deleting /lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-runtimepm.conf
    Updating the initramfs. Please wait for the operation to complete:
    Done
    Code:
    prime-select query
    nvidia
    I'm guessing you already knew all the above though.
    Last edited by 1fallen; January 19th, 2024 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Fixed Code
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Proper Graphics Switching

My Workstation is a bit more complex and no-one else in their right-mind would do this, because it is very much out of the ordinary.

What you are describing is "possible", but not "plausible". Should I explain that statement?

My workstation has many graphics and hardware options, where I use things there in different ways, for different things I want to do... To do that, there is no flip of a switch or toggle. It requires the hardware to be configured differently for each scenario by two methods:

Method one takes a multi-boot through the grub2 menu, which boot's different instances of installed OS'es configured different ways.

Method two takes plugging in different drives into my drive bays, and using the BIOS to boot to those drives, to boot an OS which takes over total control of the hardware (vSphere/vCenter)...

Both take a whole lot of prep work to setup, and to maintain. Like I just explained to someone else earlier today, that machine is the result of 14 years of my Workstation Test-Bench evolution, trial and errors.

Most people setup their PC (once) to be static, and stable.

"Just because something is possible doesn't make it a good idea." That adaptability and flexibility comes with a cost.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 20th, 2024 at 08:01 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags