Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove max battery limit?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question How to remove max battery limit?

Hello!

I have Lubuntu installed in a computer but, for some reason, the maximum charge is limited at 50% and I do not recall changing any setting related to the battery. The computer is kind of old so maybe that's the problem, but I'm not sure... Can this limit be removed?

This is what I mean:

(sorry for not taking a screenshot instead - I am writing this in another computer because that one is old and would take a lot of time to send it there)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 14th, 2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Unneeded large image removed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How to remove max battery limit?

What make and model is it?
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!

It's an Acer Aspire V5-123

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dang if it was a Lenovo I could help you.
    But Acer has a utility for windows: https://i.stack.imgur.com/AJT6J.png
    Acer Care Center, or have you checked your bios for such a setting?
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!

I have entered the BIOS using F2 when I turn on my computer but I cannot find any setting related to the battery, and I do not have Acer Care Center installed. I also can't find any setting related to the charge limit in Lubuntu's configuration. I don't remember if I had this problem when Windows was installed or not. Is there maybe any command which changes this limit? Or is it a problem with the battery itself?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by luncaaa View Post
    I have entered the BIOS using F2 when I turn on my computer but I cannot find any setting related to the battery, and I do not have Acer Care Center installed. I also can't find any setting related to the charge limit in Lubuntu's configuration. I don't remember if I had this problem when Windows was installed or not. Is there maybe any command which changes this limit? Or is it a problem with the battery itself?
    That application is a Windows Only.
    Hopefully this might help you https://community.acer.com/en/kb/art...-battery-reset
    On my Lenovo's i use this:
    Code:
    ls /sys/bus/platform/drivers/ideapad_acpi
    Now for me not sure about yours though I'm looking @
    Code:
    bind  module  uevent  unbind  VPC2004:00
    For my reset now I'll use:
    Code:
    # echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/ideapad_acpi/VPC2004:00/conservation_mode
    I'm very doubtful that Acer would work with that, so that Link i showed is your best course of action ATM
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried the reset thing and now the limit is at 47% - How can I know if I reset it properly? Is there an indicator or something?
    And those commands don't seem to work on acer as it says that it couldn't find the file or directory. These are the directories I have:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by luncaaa; October 14th, 2023 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

pull the charging brick out of the wall socket/plug (wait 30 40 seconds), and then plug it back in. (Don't pull it from the Laptop)
    It should now show "charging with a lighting bolt" icon.

I was very sure the commands were worthless on an Acer, but thanks for the feedback might be useful for someone else.
    Also have a look here: https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3...anagement.html
    Last edited by 1fallen; October 14th, 2023 at 09:49 PM.
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans
    Hidden!

Nono, it did not work because there is no "ideapad_acpi"
    However, in the image you can see that:
    - In the drivers folder, there is "acpi-fan", "acpi-ged" and "acpi-wmi"
    - In the "sys/bus" folder, there is "acpi", and "sys/bus/acpi/drivers" contains: ac, battery, button, ec, hardware_error_device, hpet, thermal, tpm_crb and video

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, so I have tried running the following commands:
    Code:
    cat /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply/BAT1/charge_full_design
    This returns "2500000"
    And this:
    Code:
    cat /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply/BAT1/charge_full
    This returns "1187000"

using "sudo tee" instead of "cat" returns "permission denied"... what can I do? I'm sorry if these question seem dumb, I don't really know much about linux commands.
    I have also tried investigating a bit and it seems like this could be caused because the battery is dying and there is nothing I can do other than buying a new one... Is this the only alternative?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast